Central African Republic accuse former president of plotting coup

Central African Republic’s government has accused former President Francois Bozize of plotting a coup as political tensions and violence rise ahead of the December 27 presidential elections.

In a statement, the government said that Bozize plotted with members of his family and a number of armed groups to attack two towns near the capital Bangui after the country’s top court rejected his candidacy.

It also accused Bozize of amassing militias in the outskirts of the town of Bossembele whom he planned to march to Bangui. “It is manifestly an attempted coup,” Ange Maxime Kazagui, spokesman for the government said in a broadcast on national television.

Bozize, who had previously accepted the court’s decision, is yet to respond to the allegations.

The rising tensions prompted the United Nations’ peacekeeping mission in the Central African Republic (MINUSCA) to deploy troops to disperse armed rebel groups that had occupied roads and towns near Bangui, threatening to disrupt the election.

President Faustin-Archange Touadera, who has struggled to maintain stability, is seeking re-election. Bozize was ousted in 2013 by mainly Muslim Seleka rebels, prompting reprisals from mostly Christian militias and plunging the Central African Republic in to a civil war.

U.N. peacekeepers have been deployed since 2014, including over 12,800 in uniform.

The U.N. mission said the rebel groups, some of whom had fought against one another in the civil war, had occupied two localities.

U.N. troops dispersed the armed militia blocking a major road northeast of the capital, while in Bossangoa in the north, the peacekeepers blocked armed elements on motorcycles who tried to leave the city, the statement said.

As the election campaign heats up, Facebook said on Tuesday that rival disinformation campaigns from the country’s former colonial master France, and Russia, seen as close to Touadera, have sought to influence the election and deceive voters.

U.N. Secretary General Antonio Guterres condemned the escalating violence, disinformation, hate speech and incitement to violence in a separate statement on Friday.

Share this

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn

Be the first to know

Get our stories first